Crawford Williamson Long (November 1, 1815 – June 16, 1878) was an American surgeon and pharmacist best known for his first use of inhaled diethyl ether as an anesthetic. Although his work was unknown outside a small circle of colleagues for several years, he is now recognized as the first physician to have administered ether anesthesia for surgery.
The Crawford W. Long childhood home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Long was honored in the “Famous American Series” of postage stamps in 1940. In 1931, Atlanta’s 85-bed Davis-Fischer Sanatorium was renamed Crawford W. Long Memorial Hospital. The current facility is administered by Emory University and since 2009 has been known as Emory University Hospital Midtown. References to Crawford W. Long Memorial Hospital are retained on exterior monuments.